Thursday, September 13, 2012

30 Days In...



Today marks day 30 of construction on our house and what a month it has been! Those of you that read the blog know we are in the process of remodeling our house.  The project is a big one and we are blessed to love our builder and are amazed at how much they have done in 30 days!

This week has been one of decisions....and purchases.  Mr. G and I love to figure out how much we can save so we can justify all of our little extras (his involving guns or electronics and mine have been sconces or fabric) as FREE.  It has become a sort of game for us over almost 10 years of marriage and now three major remodels.  What can I say, we love a good project, as long as we don't have to do the work ourselves!

I am declaring this week the week of Birkin handbags...yes plural.   NO, I did not go purchase multiple Birkins during a construction project, but I have chosen to envision a nice burnt orange calfskin, a good everyday neutral and a basic black one.  Now my Birkins are not the Hermes variety anywhere but my in my head.  In reality my Birkins are Kohler chrome and oil rubbed bronze faucets and shower heads, toilets and pedestal sinks, but call me crazy, I just cannot get excited about a toilet as much as a handbag!

A lot of you have emailed and asked about where I have purchased our house stuff from which leads me back to our family GAME.  We keep a running list of how much the project is costing and how much we have saved along the way.  This week we saved $2,200.  I am NOT JOKING on all of the above.  At least that is how much more we would have spent if we purchased everything at Home Depot.

Instead I spent about 10 minutes searching the Ebates websites for building supplies and hit the jackpot.  We ordered everything from Faucets Direct so in addition to saving the $2,200, we also are getting cash back in our Ebates account.

I am NOT being compensated for this post, but I am a big believer in not paying more than I have to for anything.  I realize that somethings do not go on sale and I am the first person to support small businesses.  I will not purchase shoes from kate spade when I can support my friend E's and purchase the same Kate Spade shoes from her store, The Shoe Hive.

In this case, I just thought it might be easier to do a post instead of answering the same email question over and over, which I promise I do answer email, but this way I can also answer anyone else who may have been wondering the same thing.

This is not my first, and won't be my last, I suspect, post on Ebates because I am HOOKED!  I thought for years it was a scam and no one would actually get money back.  Then I thought it would take too much time.  Now I realize that once you make it a habit to go to their site and click through it adds up!  I now average around $150 cash back a quarter or $600 a year!  See all of those pennies really do add up!  So if you have been on the fence about joining, just JOIN!  It took me a few months to get into a routine of going to my account first, but now it is habit and I consider my checks from Ebates FREE MONEY.  So while I cannot purchase a Birkin with my Ebates checks, I can still get a day at the spa every quarter for doing what I would have done anyway.

So my decision for next week is paint colors and purchasing beds...if you have any favorite shades or furniture stores PLEASE share!

No comments: