Thursday, October 6, 2011

Apple of My Eye



Yesterday started with learning that some lovely visitor had left malware on this blog, it ended with finding out that cancer had claimed another victory and we had to say goodbye to a truly great American, Steve Jobs.

I had a scheduled post for yesterday and today, but after yesterday's news I felt like I needed to post this instead. My mother always said that God gives us all a car in this life and it is our choice to drive in our lane or someone else's lane. It sounded like a great story as a child, even better has a teenager, I wondered what my car was supposed to be, and then life seem to take over and I went from one thing to the next, years passed, I worked on some amazing campaigns, got a job, job married and then Mini K was born.

I was still at home a few days a week with Mini K in May of 2005. We were still trying to figure out what her diagnosis was and how we could help her. Looking back now as I think of her playing sports, running and enjoying everything a 5 year old does this very sentence makes me laugh.

I was at home when I saw this video for the first time, Mini K was asleep in her crib and I was mesmerized by this speech. I have it in my toolbar and watch it often. Watch it, it will be 15 minutes of your life that you won't get back, but it will change it forever, for the better.

I think millions of us can look at our iphones, computers and ipads and know that Steve Jobs changed the way we communicate, live and work, but for me, like so many others, it was something bigger. He has changed the world in a way few people do, he is the ultimate comeback kid and he succeeded with passion and hardwork. In a time where government seems to think they need to be involved in the quest for the american dream, let us all remember that Steve Jobs accomplished so much with passion, failure, drive and hardwork.

So today I want to say thank you to Mr. Jobs for the following:

1. His facetime application has enabled my children to see and talk to my mom as she goes through rehab for West Nile and radiation for cancer.

2. For giving me countless more hours with my children escaping to the wonderful world of Pixar and watching the expressions of wonder on their faces.

3. For inventing products that allow me to do my job anywhere which means I can be at Mini K's tennis or Baby C's therapy and still in touch with my work world.

4. For teaching millions of children that technology is cool and not to be feared.

5. For showing me that sometimes the ultimate failure results in the ultimate success.

6. For allowing Mr. G to help Mini K with her homework when he is out of town.

It is strange to think of how many times a day this total stranger enables me to do more, more of what I love and more time with the people I love. I hate that cancer has taken him to soon and hope his wife and four children know how grateful so many of us are for his work and his passion.

He ended this speech with a quote: "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish"

On days like yesterday, it is easy to think about how fast life goes by, but today the work begins on living the life you still have.

Godspeed Steve Jobs and thank you!

No comments: