Tuesday, August 30, 2011

First Day


What is it about the first day? We all must be born with something that makes us excited for the first day of school, of camp, of college of a new job. As a child it is 100% excitement, as an adult it can be mixed with a little nerves to keep us humble.

Today was a first: the first day of kindergarten for Mini K. She woke up no less than 3 times last night asking if she could put on her dress and backpack. Finally, I said yes, and after a quick (read inhaled) breakfast, we were off to school. She has a few new kids in her class, but most of them have been in class together since they were 3 so it was more like a reunion. She signed in, whispered to me that I could only take "a few" photos and went to her assigned seat. Her smile said it all.

When I picked her up, the same smile was there. Today was yet another lesson, taught by a 5 year old. On the way home she said today was amazing, because she learned new things with her friends. I stopped and wondered if anything I did today brought me as much joy as her first day of school...what popped into my head was a quote I have seen often, and would love to cite, but I have no idea who said it, but I think all of us owe this unknown to me person a thank you...it goes something like this: We should all be so lucky to be able to do for a living what we find ourselves doing when we are putting off our work. For me it is PGG, for Mini K, it was exactly how she spent her day. My wish for my daughter is that never changes!



No comments: