Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve


What a week it has been! I had so much I planned to blog about: how I wrapped everything, our neighbor gifts, our New Year's gifts and then life happened. I know I am not alone as so many people have emailed or called me with similar stories. In years past, this would have sent me over the edge, but this year I really feel like God has just stepped in and help me chill out!

Baby C has both pneumonia and RSV, Mr. G has bronchitis and Mini K and I are on a lovely Z-Pack cocktail. We found out my mom wouldn't be able to be with us on Christmas due to a strong dose of radiation and Baby C being under 2 and 6 friends will now be getting New Year's and not Christmas presents. Baby C decided the one thing he really wanted to throw was not a ball, but the Christmas ornament Mini K had made at school. The egg nog poundcake for Christmas breakfast will be made tomorrow morning. All of these things would have sent me into tears last year, but this year, I just accepted it. I am not taking credit for my calm at all, it is all God.

Something this week made me embrace it. If I couldn't control it or fix it I just accepted it. It was hard, then it got easier. Two dear friends were really sick so we took them Chick Fil A chicken noodle soup. I gave up thinking the family room had to be spotless without a toy in sight every night.

Tonight, Mini K and I went to mass alone as Baby C couldn't go so Mr. G stayed home. It was the first year she knew all of the carols and it was so special to sit next to her and sing with her. We played Santa on our way home to a few good friends, then picked up Baby C and took both of them in for a check with our doctor on call at the hospital. Thankfully, Mini K's lungs are clear and Baby C doesn't seem to realize he is really sick.

Dinner was takeout, not what I had planned, but the kids didn't seem to care. I don't know why I felt like I had to get on my computer and post this, but I did. As I type, Mr. G and Mini K are watching Santa videos on Norad Santa and I did sneak in a few presents for myself at the last Call after Christmas sale.

I am going to take it all in and realize what I consider to be the biggest and hardest lesson to learn: I am not in the driver seat and that is for the best. Sometimes my plan isn't the one that God wants and I have to accept it. Sometimes life isn't fair, but it is always special, if you look for the blessings instead of for the items on your to do list.

I wanted to take the time and say thank you to all of you that have supported the Grove, the blog and Grove Gal E and I over this year and the years before. Life seems to speed up each year and I am so thankful for the people that support me and my family!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and yours!

xox,

Grove Gal K

2 comments:

Her preppiness said...

Hope you are all better! I have pneumonia too

Landlocked Mermaid said...

Oh Sweetie!! What a week you've had! I had no idea! How is everyone feeling? you poor dear! Your attitude is the right one. We need to get together for breakfast and give you a little grown up mommy time. I am sure despite it all it was a great holiday xo xo