Monday, September 19, 2011

Tailgate With A Purpose

I don't think I have ever done a blog post like this...I am not talking about our business, my kids, our crazy life, but something we can all DO to help kids that cannot do for themselves. I am asking you to tweet this post, post it to your Facebook page, or do your own blogpost. This is an organization founded out of love and one that I hope succeeds!

Today I learned something new. I have been running with, or I should say behind, Elizabeth early in the morning for the past few months. Elizabeth owns the fabulous The Shoe Hive and her husband is in the message business. They have two adorable kids, in fact Mini K thinks their daughter B is "awesome...for a 4 year old" which is a pretty high compliment.

What I didn't know was that they are also the aunt and uncle to a little boy with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. It is 100% fatal. Can you even imagine knowing that a child you love and adore will be lucky to live to their late twenties and will be in pain? Well four years ago Brad founded Coach to Cure MS and it has gone national and this weekend you can help these children by enjoying your favorite fall sport: college football.

What I knew long before today was that this blog community is powerful and compassionate and I am asking you to consider supporting your favorite team this Saturday, but also to do a blog post about this wonderful organization. We will be supporting this great cause at T.J. Stone's in Alexandria and I hope you will take the time to find an event in your area!

Here is an excerpt of Brad's email...

Four years ago, I started a national charity program with America's college football coaches to honor my little nephew Joel-who is fighting a brutal disorder called Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. It took me almost 2 years to get this program adopted and launched in 2008. I almost gave up many times. But now, Coach to Cure MD has grown to meet our wildest dreams--virtually ever college football coach participates.

Big-time coaches like Texas' mack brown, South Carolina's Steve Spurrier, Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald and Rutgers' Greg Schiano have become passionate advocates.

This weekend is our big national event. You'll see our Coach to Cure MD patches on every coach's arm on the sidelines. Around the country, families fighting Duchenne will hold watch parties in sports bars, tailgate lots, etc to raise money to fund research that could cure our boys.

All of us who are fighting Duchenne are battling a time bomb. Our boys stop walking by the time they are teenagers. Their hearts stop beating in their 20's. It's 100% fatal--unless and until we change it.

To learn more about Coach to Cure MD, to find our if your school is participating or to contribute online click HERE.

No comments: