Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Kitchen Cake




Since life has been a little hectic at casa Grove I thought I would share one of my favorite recipes. We have all been there, you forgot you were supposed to take someone dinner, or make dessert. I have the perfect recipe for you.

I usually take breakfast for dinner when i sign up to make dinner for a friend. I ALWAYS have sausage balls frozen in the freezer as one batch is never enough. So I take them, make a quick fritatta and what my mother calls Kitchen Cake.

As a child, this cake was someone magical, it required boxes and bottles and anything else we had in the pantry. As an adult I realize this is the cake that you make when you forgot you had to make something!

So here is the basic recipe
Cake
1-box cake mix (I have used butter pecan, red velvet, yellow, white, orange cream and lemon)
1- box of pudding mix, vanilla
1 cup or milk OR 1 cup of sour cream
4 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Topping
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamin
1/3 cup of white sugar

Options
You can skip the above topping and make a glaze of some milk and powdered sugar, or milk powered sugar and malted milk powder

You can substitute chocolate chips for the topping

You can add nuts to any of the above

You can also crush any type of chocolate candy or Oreos instead

Directions

Mix your toppings in a small bowl and set aside


Mix all of the ingredients for the cake on medium speed with a mixer
Place half of batter in greased bundt pan, layer with half of your topping mixture. Add remaining batter and top with the remaining topping mixture
Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes

Let cool for 5 minutes

Invert onto cake stand or plate
Drizzle with your glaze of choice or eat plain

You look like a superstar and your time secret, or lack there of, is safe with me!

No comments: