Monday, March 21, 2011

Soup's On...

Clearly since it has been over a week since my last post, I have lost track of time. Baby C has had yet another growth spurt...and another brand new wardrobe. Remember the days when you went to the doctor and there was an all out celebration because you gained weight...yeah I don't remember those days either!

Grove Gal E and I have been blessed with new clients, orders and spring's arrival. We are both trying to plan our meals ahead...not crazy scheduling, just not the what's for dinner discussion....at 7pm. I have given up white flour for Lent and no more eating after 8pm.

So I have pulled out an old recipe of my mom's that is so good and super easy. For those of you that live in the South, you probably know about La Madeline's tomato basil soup. You also know that the fat and calorie count of it is downright frightening.

Well let me introduce you to a healthier version that is finished in 20 minutes or less depending on your stove.

Ingredients
2-24 ounce cans of chopped tomatoes
1- 12 ounce can of chicken broth
18- fresh basil leaves, washed, dried and chopped
1- teaspoon sugar
2- sticks of light butter 9 I use Land O Lakes)
3-ounces light cream cheese

Directions
Bring tomatoes and chicken broth to a boil. Turn heat down to low and add basil and sugar. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Turn heat to medium and add light cream cheese and butter. Once butter and cream cheese have melted (cream cheese will still be a little lumpy) blend with stick or immersion blender. Garnish with salt and pepper to taste.

This is the easiest soup you will ever make and people always ask for the recipe. It is one of my go to items to take to friends when they are under the weather or need a pick me up. Pair it with some mini grilled pimento cheese sandwiches and gooey brownies and it is comfort on a plate.

I promise tomorrow I will make time to post, because we have a special to share with you...monogrammed of course!

1 comment: