Thursday, January 19, 2012

Musings From The Kitchen Island



Our island looks unassuming. It is made of white beadboard with a black granite, but let me tell you it was quite the decision. When we purchased this house our kitchen had a huge open space in the center that we couldn't decide what to do with. Should we just leave it or add an island. We finally decided to custom build an island with a beverage refrigerator and an ice maker. Now I cannot imagine our house without it. It is truly the hub of our house and when it is armed with a tervis full of Arnold Palmer zero, an iPad and a few supplies and it can solve just about any problem you throw at it.

The island turns into a DJ booth after dinner and kids have their very own dance party...all we are missing is a disco ball and some bad nightclub outfits! Tonight was no exception, so while they go their groove on to Dynamite and Zac Brown band, I got a couple of new baby baskets wrapped, picked out our new kitchen refrigerator, approved the new cabinets and design, filled out Mini K's rental form for skiing tomorrow, made a hair appointment and sent some clients ideas for professional stationery.

Mr. G came home and mentioned that this is our nightly "happy hour" in D.C.: trying to get everything done, while spending time with your kids. When I was pregnant with Mini K I thought about how no one I know is actually from D.C. yet I was going to have a baby at a D.C. hospital and now I have 2 D.C. kids. I am not sure what is "normal" for growing up in D.C., it is most certainly NOT good high school football games on a Friday night, huge backyards or drive thru Starbucks, but there is something I like about having two city kids. Mini K knows that we walk, she thinks the Smithsonians are the norm for museums, a presidential motorcade is merely something that makes us late and that Georgetown Cupcakes is where one MUST go for the early dismissal cupcake fix. I couldn't help but think of a certain video (excuse the language!) that has been circulating around D.C. ...it pretty much sums it up.

I am sure every city and town have some things that are just "theirs", just like we each have some things we just do. For me, the baby basket is just something I do. I HAD to know if I was having a boy or a girl both times, but lately it seems people prefer to be surprised. I always tend to give a monogrammed gift once the baby is born, or some Political Playwear if the parents are in politics, but my go to shower gift is the baby basket. I put the same things in it every time. They are items that I loved and used with both kids (except Sophie as she wasn't around when Mini K was a baby!). I always package them in a bucket that the parents (read MOM) can use after the baby is born to store diapers, wipes and burp cloth on the living floor.

I made two of these buckets tonight at the kitchen island. They each have a Sophie in them, a Sophie leash so she doesn't suffer a tragic fall from the stroller or carseat, paci wipes, Boogie Wipes, stain spray, hangers from Buy Buy Baby (there is something about them that makes them better for the 12-24month clothes), and nighttime washclothes that already have the organic baby wash in them. I toss everything in the bucket, add a cello bag, some ribbon and a gift tag and off it goes. I loved getting items that friends thought were useful and hope these new moms feel the same way.

We then tackled homework, tomorrow's lunch, tomorrow's ski trip, the final details of next week's Kate and Libby trunk show, a few phone calls and a ponytail later we are off to tackle bath, story and bedtime!

SO my quesiton is, am I the only one that feels like they live in the kitchen and do the same routine each day?

1 comment:

Preppy Girl Meets World said...

Those baskets are so gorgeous! I gave a friend's daughter Sophie and she loves it.

I have serious kitchen envy. It is my dream to have a kitchen with an island in it. Seriously- have you seen the pictures of my kitchen?

I spend a lot of time in my kitchen. Mainly because my tiny German sink and dishwasher can only hold so much at a time, so I am constantly emptying out the dishwasher, loading it back up, hand washing things, drying them, etc. And once I'm done with that, it's time to set the table for dinner. It really feels like a never-ending cycle.